Sunsets and Urbansprawl

People always wonder why I like living in the country. I mean isn't filled with uneducated hicks? I mean there's no Starbucks or Wal-Mart anywhere. How can I possibly survive without lattes and crap made in China? I actually go to a rodeo every year? I like cowboy boots? I listen to country music? I have to deal with tractors and farmers all the time? That's just not normal to not have an urban sprawl growing around you. Or is it?

When I was younger I hated this place. I wanted to be in a city bustling with people and life. I've grown to love it, but over the last few weeks I've discovered how lovely it truly is. And maybe you with the urban sprawl will re-discover how great the world is.

Recently I stayed with my grandparents while my parents were out of town. Even though my grandpa has lived here his entire life and has never traveled anywhere he is still thankful that he lives here every single day. Every morning my grandparents and I would have coffee on their front porch. And every morning he would say, "don't we live in a nice place". Or, "listen to that. Just birds chirpin'. They don't get to listen to that sound much in the city." We'd watch the quiet street to see if anyone we knew drove past and gossip and watch the neighborhood squirrel run along the fence. Every morning. Then about two hours later, it would be coffee time and we'd do the exact same thing and then we'd eat our lunch outside another two hours later. Every single day. And they never once complained about it.

But it wasn't just my grandparents love for this magical place that re-ignited my passion for my hometown. One night while I was at my grandparents we had just come home from visiting family and I noticed the most beautiful sunset I had every seen. It had so many different colours and the blue sky was so blue and also such a strange colour of blue. It was gorgeous. I went to go get my camera and right away I started to think of all the cheeky things I could say when I posted the picture on Facebook. But I couldn't find my camera. It was no where to be found. I decided to go watch the sun go down anyway, despite my lack of technology. I went out and found a nice place on the fence. (Yes I was sitting on a fence in my grandparents' pasture.) I probably sat out there for a good ten minutes. Just sitting and staring. No music, no people, no carhorns or sirens. Just me, the sky, a few cows staring at me and the chirp of crickets and birds. If I would've had my camera I wouldn't have just relaxed like I did. I realized out in the pasture that night what my grandpa was talking about that whole time. I mean I've almost always been thankful for being raised in such a unique and beautiful place, but I really realized why my grandpa has stayed here literally forever. I saw my hometown through his eyes. 

That may explain why I'm not ashamed of my hometown unlike many of my peers. But what can the rest of the world stuck in the concrete jungle learn from my little experience on the farm? Enjoy where you live.  Cities do have the ability to have nice sunsets. Put down your damn phone. Turn it off. Drink your morning coffee outside. Just stare out your window. Enjoy the view. Really look and listen to the world around you. And please remember that we're not all hicks out here. We're not any different than you with the Starbucks and Wal-Mart. We might even be luckier.

A gorgeous city sunset above some apartments in the city.

A sunset at my grandparents' farm on another evening.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Powered by Blogger.